Happy 2016! Or. Not… Instead of the usual how to improve your life Oprah style – “It’s YOUR year”, “Yay YOU”, yadda yadda – so far this year I’ve been loving the subversively comical how to cheat your way through 2016.
Here are some of my faves: the 7 day “How to fake a juice cleanse” (The Cut), how to deflect the “How were your holidays” question (also The Cut – because why would you want to talk about good times?). Plus the definitive “Guide on how to deal with 2016” (Dazed) which includes advice like, “Don’t bother cleaning your flat post Christmas, just burn it down”…
So far, so funny. So… in the spirit of the cheats how to, here are the beauty and style hacks to kick off 2016.
- GLADIATORS. The sandals. Not the 90s TV show with buff blokes called Vulcan, Hammer and Cougar, riding motorcycles indoors through a haze of dry ice. All styles slay it from low-fi ankle, to mid-calf, or go all out with a knee-high. Heel or flat, your call. Standouts: Rachel Zoe, Ancient Greek Sandals, Aquazzura, Joie, Stuart Weitzman, K. Jacques, Valentino, and Loeffler Randall. Buy: shopbop.com
- CAGE HEELS. Edgier than a pump or a sandal, they’re the streamlined summer version of the heeled booties that have been doing the sartorial rounds. Lock down a set from Tamara Melon (ex Jimmy Choo), Schutz, or Aquazzura. Buy: shopbop.com
- TASSELS. Traditionally the domain of the rhinestone cowgirl, these pretties have twirled their way mainstream via sandals, bags, earrings, anything accessory related. Take your cues from Lanvin and go from there. Buy: net-a-porter.com
- OFF THE SHOULDER. It’s summer, show some skin, but keep it classy with an off the shoulder shirt or frock. Two emerging designers nailing it on off-shoulder frontage, Caroline Constas and MLM the Label. Get involved. Buy: shopbop.com
- BLUE AND GREEN SHOULD BE SEEN. The Pantone colours of the year are Rose Quartz (pale pink) and Serenity (pale blue). Yes to the blue hue, particularly One Teaspoon’s frayed denim shorty shorts. Save the pale pink for your cosmetics case, instead sub in a cool mint green in the form of a super cute arm candy accessory like Hill & Friends happy handbag. Buy: net-a-porter.com and oneteaspoon.com.au
- FLAWLESS PHYSIQUE (it’s faux possible). Clarins Smoothing Body Balm is a classic, but for a travel-lite option, go for Energy Bank Body Makeover from This Works. Chock full of essential oils to smooth out any post-Christmas candy bumps. RRP $75 mecca.com.au
- GLOSSY LOCKS. Cult French hair brand La Biosthetique’s Glossing Spray is lighter than a serum, contains SPF and turns up the wattage on your locks to max gloss factor. Sunglasses sold separately. RRP $47.50 labiosthetique.com.au
- GOOD GENES. Weren’t born with Gisele Bundchen genes? Sunday Riley makes it like you were. Her Good Genes all-in-one lactic acid treatment is one of the best skincare saves getting around town. Apply in place of your usual serum. Your skin will thank you. RRP $142 mecca.com.au
- GET GLOWING. The Bobbi Glow Collection from beauty powerhouse Bobbi Brown is on counter 1st Feb, and it’s all kinds of post-summer vacay gorgeous (or, er, stay-caytion fab for coverage of Netflix and chocolate binge situations.). Two highlighting shades ($80 each), six long-wear gel sparkle eyes ($42 each) and a pink lip tint that’ll turn any pout pretty ($52). Buy: Bobbibrown.com.au
- PEEL IT. La Prairie’s Cellular 3 Minute Peel is the facial for when you can’t get to the salon. Skin looks and feels firm and radiant, banishing any boozy blow out face baggage. RRP $255 Laprairie.com.au
And finally – 70s glam rock. It’s back. Look afraid.